McCockran's mother, Rhonda Evans, ran in to tell him that there was a fire. Thinking quickly, the fourteen-year-old grabbed a fire extinguisher and ran to the apartment of his disabled neighbor.
The young man had to crawl in order to evade the smoke to get to Smith.
McCockran, who is a straight A science student at Fairfield's Golden Hills High School, said, "I saw the guy kind of stumble and it was like, 'he's out of it, he's been breathing in all the smoke inhalation."
"He said, 'Get the dog, the dog.' So I had to run in there a second time to get the dog, and as I ran in there to get the dog, flames started coming out of the room from the roof and the stuff just started to fall," McCockran told local affiliate ABC7.
Expounding on his knowledge of the physics of fire, which he learned in science class, McCockran said, "It already had the smoke, which is gas. If it would've had enough oxygen, it would've combined and it would've blew up," McCockran said. "So if it would have sparked just like that, the whole house would have gone up in flames. I would have gotten backdrafted."
"I can't sit there and let somebody die," McCockran said.
Smith was very glad that McCockran acted when he did. "Of course, he did save my life because I was going to walk right into the blaze," he said.
Additionally, with no formal training, firefighters said that the young man handled things just as firefighters are trained to do.
The Lord Jesus, going to the cross on behalf of sinners, on which He would give His life, said,
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
Latrell McCockran was willing to do just that, lay down his life for his neighbor with no thought of his own safety. In this instance, he not only survived, but was able to save someone else. Well done, Mr. McCockran!